“Highlights of the 2020 Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning”
- RESERVATIONS CLOSED MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2020
- ZOOM INVITE to be sent Wednesday morning to all who register.
5:00 - 5:30 PM General Meeting / Nominating Report Vote
5:30 - 6:30 PM Presentation
About the Speaker:
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
KEVIN MATZ is a Partner in both the Private Client Services Group and the Family Office Group at the New York City law firm of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, where his practice is principally devoted to domestic and international estate and tax planning, family office services, estate administration and related litigation. Kevin earned his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law (where he was a Notes & Articles Editor of the Fordham Law Review) and his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (“ACTEC”), Co-Chair of the Taxation Committee of the Trusts and Estates Law Section of the New York State Bar Association, and the Chair of the UJA-Federation of New York’s Trusts and Estates Group. Kevin is also a certified public accountant, in which connection he is currently the Treasurer and Secretary of the New York State Society of CPAs, a former chair of its Estate Planning Committee and a past President of the New York State CPA Society’s Foundation for Accounting Education. Kevin has published extensively as an author, and has helped to draft a multitude of comment letters (including on Qualified Opportunity Funds and Opportunity Zones) for ACTEC, various bar associations and the New York State Society of CPAs. Mr. Matz may be contacted at 212-806-6076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Topic:
- Federal Estate, Gift and GST Tax Exemptions Continue Their Upward Surge to $11,580,000
- Summary of Trust and Estate Issues Presented in the Final QOZ Regulations
- Stroock’s Deep Dive Into the Final QOZ Regulations
- SECURE Act Passed in Year-End Spending Package
- Based upon our interpretation of the New York State Board for Public Accountancy regulations, this event will qualify for one (1) CPE credit in Specialized knowledge. Our New York State CPE Sponsor license number is 000783.
- (1) CE credit for Certified Financial Planners.
ZOOM - If you are new to Zoom, please do the following in advance of the meeting:
- Go to https://zoom.us
- Either create a free account if you want to host your own meetings, or click on “Resources” in the upper right corner, drop down to “Download Zoom Client”
- Download the correct version for the device you are using – Mac, Windows, Android, etc.
- You will receive information for the scheduled meeting, either as a hyperlink or as a Meeting ID number and password. You can click on the link and it should open up Zoom automatically. If that doesn’t work, you may need to launch the Zoom app and manually enter the Meeting ID number and password when prompted.
- We recommend that you take a few minutes to do this in advance of the actual meeting date so you are comfortable with how it works. You will quickly become an expert at Zoom, it’s easy and works well.
Here are a few “Zoom etiquette” guidelines for attending a meeting:
- You may be asked for a second password to enter the meeting. This will be provided to you in advance. Please do not share passwords with non-EPC members.
- When you enter the meeting you should Mute yourself (microphone icon in the lower left corner). The Host of the meeting can also mute you automatically so that only the presenter is heard when they are speaking. PLEASE be sure to Mute yourself if there is background noise at your location – kids, dogs, phone ringing, etc.
- To Unmute yourself if you are directed to participate, either click again on the microphone, or press Space Bar to unmute temporarily.
- You may choose to be seen by everyone if you “Start Video” – lower left next to microphone. Or you may choose to “Stop Video” if you do not want to be seen.
- There is a Chat balloon at the bottom of the screen – mouse down and it will appear. You may send a Chat message to everyone, or to a particular person privately using the drop-down menu. Be careful – this is akin to “Reply All” on email, and you want to make sure you are Chatting only with the desired recipient.
If you have questions about setting up Zoom in advance, or want to do a trial Zoom call, please contact Mike Rosenman at (914) 523-6075 and he will be happy to walk you through it.